The following information is provided by the website: www.teenlineonline.org
TEEN LINE is a confidential telephone helpline for teenaged callers.
(310) 855-HOPE (4673) OR (800) TLC-TEEN (852-8336)
The hotline operates every evening from 6:00pm to 10:00pm and is toll-free from anywhere in California. If you have a problem or just want to talk with another teen who understands, then this is the right place for you! TEEN LINE also offers email help, online chat, message boards, resources and information.
The TEEN LINE volunteers who answer the calls, emails and chats are Southern California teenagers who have been specially trained. They won’t judge you or give advice – their job is to listen to your feelings and help you to clarify your concerns, define the options available to you, and help you make positive decisions.
No problem is too small, too large, or too shocking for the TEEN LINE volunteers.
PROBLEMS SOME TEENAGERS FACE …
Abuse, AIDS, alcoholism, depression, divorce, drugs, gangs, homelessness, pregnancy, sexuality, violence, suicide.
SOME FACTS ABOUT TEEN LINE …
- The hotline receives almost 9,000 calls each year
- More than 35,000 attend our outreaches to schools & community groups
- Our website receives more than 140,000 visitors from all over the world
- We have provided Suicide Prevention Training to the Los Angeles Police Department’s Juvenile Procedures School since 1996
- Certified by the American Association of Suicidology (1-800-SUICIDE)
TEEN LINE IS UNIQUE …
Our Teen Listeners have a special ability to understand and empathize with callers because they are teens themselves … they speak their language. Resource Associates, all mental health professionals, volunteer their time each night to provide on-site supervision and support to the Teen Listeners, especially important after a particularly traumatic call.